In The News
THIRTEEN makes knishes at Yonah Schimmel’s Knish Bakery in the Lower East Side.
Walking into Yonah Schimmel Knish by Nice Guy Tours
Some facts of life from 1910
- The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour and the average worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- US Life Expectancy: (1910) Males: 48.4 years, Females: 51.8 years
- The Population of Manhattan peaked in 1910, at 2,331,542. It is lower today.
- There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
- Eggs cost 14 cents a dozen.
- 20% of adults could not read or write and only 6% of Americans had graduated from high school.
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.
Places to interact with us on social media