THIRTEEN makes knishes at Yonah Schimmel’s Knish Bakery in the Lower East Side.
Walking into Yonah Schimmel Knish by Nice Guy Tours
Talking about Yonah Schimmel on their PodCast
Check us out at the 9:45 mark after they discuss some of our neighbors to the east.
Some facts of life from 1910
- The average US wage in 1910 was 22 cents per hour and the average worker made between $200 and $400 per year.
- US Life Expectancy: (1910) Males: 48.4 years, Females: 51.8 years
- The Population of Manhattan peaked in 1910, at 2,331,542. It is lower today.
- There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
- Eggs cost 14 cents a dozen.
- 20% of adults could not read or write and only 6% of Americans had graduated from high school.
- Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn’t been invented yet.
Places to interact with us on social media